Skip to main content

Leaders Communicate Effectively! - Use Questions

Effective leaders understand that good communication also involves the ability to give clear direction and productive feedback. They also know when to ask questions and how to encourage new ideas among their employees.

Here is another of my leadership communication skills tips to help you communicate your message more effectively:


Use Questions to Uncover Information. “Effective leaders use great questions.” When an employee comes to you with a challenge, instead of giving them an answer (the default mode for many leaders) ask them a question instead.

Questions allow you to collect information before you give the answer (diagnose before you prescribe). Questions can empower employees by helping them think through a challenge and forcing them to search for answers or new ideas on their own. If they uncover the answers, employees are more likely to embrace them. Leaders can also use questions as a check for understanding and to see whether the listener got the essence of the message.

“Seek first to understand then to be understood.” - Stephen Covey, author of Seven Habits of Highly Effective People

ACTION
During the next few weeks pay attention to how you communicate with employees. Are you quickly giving them the answer or are you asking questions first? Carry an index card and track your communication: 1) How often do you ask questions? 2) How often do you give answers?

If you are not asking questions at least 50% of the time, you may want to reconsider how you communicate with others.


Over the next few weeks I will be sharing more areas that can help leaders communicate their messages more effectively. So be sure to check back.

In the meantime, if you have any successes or questions about leadership communication Let me know and I will share them with my readers. E-mail Patrick

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Building a team “Family Style”

Building a team “Family Style” I come from a big Italian family. All four of my grandparents came to America from Italy (okay my Mom's father came from Sicily!). My extended family, just on my Dad's side (including aunts, uncles, cousins…), totaled almost 100 people. So I am very well versed on the concept of working together in groups. When I look at team building I think of it as ‘family building”. Here is what I mean: 1. First, think of the group as “Family” not a team. Family in this context is a group whose members are related in origin, characteristics, or occupation. So since you are related in occupation, you qualify as a “family” I’ve always considered my co-workers, clients and other business relationship as my “business family”. I have used this concept with organizations when I have served: as president, as committees chair and on committees/teams. I find it more powerful to think “family” versus team. 2. Find ways to get people to work/play together. You build stro...

7 Ways to Say No

7 Ways to Say No Going along with my theme from my last post "Not to Do List" I though I would reprint an article I wrote on ways to say "no!" I think many people struggle with telling others “No”. The reason they struggle is because they think they only have two choices. They can either say “yes” or “no”. I try to avoid “all or nothing” thinking. I believe that there are many alternative between the extremes. So here are several different ways I share with my clients on how they could say no: 7 Ways to Say No: 1) Say NO… with a straightforward explanation – “No, I’m uncomfortable doing that!” 2) Say NO… and give an alternative – “No. I can’t do that today, how about first thing in the morning?” 3) Say NO… and clarify your reason – Help them understand your position. Explain the why. “No. I can’t help you because I made commitment to my family to not work on weekends this month.” 4) Give Preface then Say NO… – “Each year we choose 3 charities to support and I am sor...

Getting People To Do What They Say They Will Do…

Getting people to do what they say they will do… Throughout my years of coaching, I find that sometimes leaders blame employees for not following through. Yet it is the leader who is sometimes at fault for not being clear, concise and specific. Here's a process to increase the chances that your people will do what they say they will do: 1. Make sure you both are clear about what you want them to do. The more specific the request the better the result will be. Be specific about when he would like this particular activity done. Whenever possible, mutually set the deadline. (visit my past blog on goal setting ) 2. Check for understanding. Make sure you both have the same message. Just because someone says yes, doesn't mean that you both are agreeing to the same thing. Check to make sure the message you sent is the same one they received. (see communication article ) 3. Follow-up in writing, whenever appropriate. Some goals may be more complex and a brief written follow up (by eit...