Skip to main content

Eight ways to make and set goals that work!


Excerpt from Donadio’s most requested keynote and new educational DVD, “Belief-Driven Success”


Whether setting personal, professional or organizational goals, now is a good time to compare where you are with where you would like to be in the future.

I usually set/revisit my goals quarterly but since many people set goals in January I thought would share my eight step process.

It is a simple process, yet still do many people do not spend the time to do it...

Here is step one:

1. Start at the END! Work backwards from the goal. Ask yourself, "Where would I (my company) like to be a year from now?” The sky is the limit! Visualize in your mind that it is December 31st and you just achieved your goal. Ask yourself, "How did I do it?" Now speculate all the steps you would have had to take to achieve this goal. Then write down all these activities.

Come back to read the other seven steps…

Comments

Unknown said…
Patrick,

My name is Sharon, I am from Sch'dy, Ny and my dad was Joe. are you the author of "Touch Me IF You DAre"? I have a copy that my dad gave me years ago.

Popular posts from this blog

Building a team “Family Style”

Building a team “Family Style” I come from a big Italian family. All four of my grandparents came to America from Italy (okay my Mom's father came from Sicily!). My extended family, just on my Dad's side (including aunts, uncles, cousins…), totaled almost 100 people. So I am very well versed on the concept of working together in groups. When I look at team building I think of it as ‘family building”. Here is what I mean: 1. First, think of the group as “Family” not a team. Family in this context is a group whose members are related in origin, characteristics, or occupation. So since you are related in occupation, you qualify as a “family” I’ve always considered my co-workers, clients and other business relationship as my “business family”. I have used this concept with organizations when I have served: as president, as committees chair and on committees/teams. I find it more powerful to think “family” versus team. 2. Find ways to get people to work/play together. You build stro...

7 Ways to Say No

7 Ways to Say No Going along with my theme from my last post "Not to Do List" I though I would reprint an article I wrote on ways to say "no!" I think many people struggle with telling others “No”. The reason they struggle is because they think they only have two choices. They can either say “yes” or “no”. I try to avoid “all or nothing” thinking. I believe that there are many alternative between the extremes. So here are several different ways I share with my clients on how they could say no: 7 Ways to Say No: 1) Say NO… with a straightforward explanation – “No, I’m uncomfortable doing that!” 2) Say NO… and give an alternative – “No. I can’t do that today, how about first thing in the morning?” 3) Say NO… and clarify your reason – Help them understand your position. Explain the why. “No. I can’t help you because I made commitment to my family to not work on weekends this month.” 4) Give Preface then Say NO… – “Each year we choose 3 charities to support and I am sor...

Getting People To Do What They Say They Will Do…

Getting people to do what they say they will do… Throughout my years of coaching, I find that sometimes leaders blame employees for not following through. Yet it is the leader who is sometimes at fault for not being clear, concise and specific. Here's a process to increase the chances that your people will do what they say they will do: 1. Make sure you both are clear about what you want them to do. The more specific the request the better the result will be. Be specific about when he would like this particular activity done. Whenever possible, mutually set the deadline. (visit my past blog on goal setting ) 2. Check for understanding. Make sure you both have the same message. Just because someone says yes, doesn't mean that you both are agreeing to the same thing. Check to make sure the message you sent is the same one they received. (see communication article ) 3. Follow-up in writing, whenever appropriate. Some goals may be more complex and a brief written follow up (by eit...